Events - Event View
This is the "Event Detail" view, showing all available information for this event.
If the event has passed, click the "Event Report" button to read a report and view photos that were uploaded.
Oak Island Trip - Lake Superior
Thursday, September 7, 2017, 9:30 AM until Sunday, September 10, 2017, 2:00 PM
Launch from the Legendary Waters Casino at Red Cliff.
37600 Onigamiing Dr
Registrants & Fees
Members pay for their own charges
Join Fred Linehan and Bernie Graham for a trip to Oak Island on Lake Superior. We are especially looking for people who haven’t been on Lake Superior before, who may not have camped out of a kayak before or who have not taken a trip with the club. We will be happy to work with you to answer your questions and help make this an enjoyable experience. Note: since we are trying to get new people involved, more experienced people should hold off registering until August 20th.
We will meet at 9:30 AM, pack boats and launch from the boat ramp at 11 AM on Thursday, September 7th. We’ll paddle out to Oak Island and set up camp for the weekend at Group Site A. Then we’ll visit the neighboring islands during the next few days. Possibilities include the Fish Camp on Manitou Island, visiting the old brownstone quarry on Stockton Island and getting a tour of the lighthouse on Raspberry Island. All activities will be dictated by what the weather and conditions allow us to safely do. We’ll return to our launch site the afternoon of Sunday, September 10th.
- Each participant is responsible for their own meals. We will practice Leave-No-Trace camping. Leave No Trace
- There will be a fee to launch and park at Red Cliff. The cost of camping will be divided among all of us.
- Participants must demonstrate wet exits and rescues prior to the trip. This is a Level 2 trip (wind up to 14 mph, waves to 2’). Trip Levels
- If you have any questions at all, please contact Bernie Graham to discuss it further.
- A sea kayak in good serviceable condition
- Bulkheads or floatation in both ends of the boat
- Wetsuit or drysuit (assume the water will be cold)
- Perimeter deck lines
- PFD to be worn at all times when on the water
- Camping gear