Join us on Lake Kabetogama in beautiful Voyageurs National Park October 1st - 4th/5th. We have the group site, a mere 5 miles from the Ash River boat launch, and plenty of time to explore the waterways of Voyageurs’ middle lake (Rainy to the north and Namakan to the east).
We will launch from the Ash River boat launch at 10:00 a.m. on Friday the 1st, returning early afternoon of Monday the 4th. (In case of weather conditions preventing a safe return on the 4th, we’ll stay in camp and come back on the 5th. Pack an extra day of food.)
- Wet suit or dry suit for cold water conditions
- Appropriate kayak & camping gear (ask if you have questions)
- Ability to perform a wet exit & T rescue
- Ability to paddle ~3mph
- Ability to paddle up to 12 miles in a day
- Ability to paddle in wind and waves
- Ability to cool/cold weather camp (average high 60°, low 35°)
- Ability to paddle kayak loaded with 4 days worth of camping gear
In the spirit of the original Voyageurs, we will have Campfire Stories. Please bring a poem, song, or short story to share with your fellow explorers around the campfire. After all, who doesn’t love a good yarn?
(No, it’s not mandatory.)
“I could carry, paddle, walk, and sing with any man I ever saw. I have been 24 years a canoeman and 41 years in service. No portage was ever too long for me. Fifty songs I could sing. I have saved the life of ten voyageurs. Have had twelve wives and six running dogs. I spent all my money in pleasure. Were I young again I would spend my life the same way over.”
~ a Voyageurs Oldtimer
Want to read more about Voyageurs? https://www.nytimes.com/1979/08/19/archives/paddling-the-waters-of-the-voyageurs-a-new-national-park-that-is-a.html
Interested in co-leading this trip? Email Alida.
Questions about the trip? Email Alida.